A ladder question
(... Plagerized from Laddercare.com.)
Extension Ladders Proper Set Up
1. DANGER! Metal Conducts Electricity! Do not let ladders of any material come in contact with live electrical wires.
2. Secure base when raising extension and never set up ladder when it is extended.
3. Set single or extension ladder at proper 75-1/2 degree angle by bracing ladder base a distance equal to 1/4 total working length of ladder away from base of vertical support. If distance is less than 3 ft. , place base of ladder a minimum of 3 ft. from vertical support.
4. Set ladder on firm ground. Do not lean sideways. Do not use on ice or snow or slippery surface without non-skid device or securing feet.
5. Erect ladder with minimum 3 ft. extending above roofline or working surface; tie top at support points.
6. Extend top section only from ground, never by bouncing or from the roof.
7. Do not overextend maintain maximum required overlap of sections as follows:
Ladder size up to and including 32' -3' overlap
Ladder size over 32' up to and including 36'- 4' overlap
Ladder size over 36' up to and including 481 -5' overlap
Ladder size over 48' -6' overlap
8. Place on a firm surface and a secure footing. Do not use on slippery surfaces. Do not place on boxes, unstable bases or scaffolds to gain additional height.
9. Do not place in front of door opening toward ladder.
10. Where possible, use second person to hold ladder.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: This is only Ladder Setup ...
PPS: God Bless America!
[This message has been edited by Jay J (edited October 11, 2001).]
Another thing if you are alone let someone know that you are using an extension ladder, and to check on you every so often ....remember a 10' fall onto concrete can KILL you, and if you kick it off the roof, it may be a long cold night.
Also stake or tie off the bottom of the latter so it cannot flip out from under you.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects