A ladder question
(... Plagerized from Laddercare.com.)
Extension Ladders Proper Set Up
1. DANGER! Metal Conducts Electricity! Do not let ladders of any material come in contact with live electrical wires.
2. Secure base when raising extension and never set up ladder when it is extended.
3. Set single or extension ladder at proper 75-1/2 degree angle by bracing ladder base a distance equal to 1/4 total working length of ladder away from base of vertical support. If distance is less than 3 ft. , place base of ladder a minimum of 3 ft. from vertical support.
4. Set ladder on firm ground. Do not lean sideways. Do not use on ice or snow or slippery surface without non-skid device or securing feet.
5. Erect ladder with minimum 3 ft. extending above roofline or working surface; tie top at support points.
6. Extend top section only from ground, never by bouncing or from the roof.
7. Do not overextend maintain maximum required overlap of sections as follows:
Ladder size up to and including 32' -3' overlap
Ladder size over 32' up to and including 36'- 4' overlap
Ladder size over 36' up to and including 481 -5' overlap
Ladder size over 48' -6' overlap
8. Place on a firm surface and a secure footing. Do not use on slippery surfaces. Do not place on boxes, unstable bases or scaffolds to gain additional height.
9. Do not place in front of door opening toward ladder.
10. Where possible, use second person to hold ladder.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: This is only Ladder Setup ...
PPS: God Bless America!
[This message has been edited by Jay J (edited October 11, 2001).]
Another thing if you are alone let someone know that you are using an extension ladder, and to check on you every so often ....remember a 10' fall onto concrete can KILL you, and if you kick it off the roof, it may be a long cold night.
Also stake or tie off the bottom of the latter so it cannot flip out from under you.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes