Installin a new Interior Wall
IMO, the EASIEST way to do this job is if the carpeting is glued. If it is, you cut out where you will be nailing your base plate. (Use pressure treated wood on slab.) If it's not glued, I'd still remove the carpeting but I'd have a Pro do the tack strips and the base plate. Both can be done at the same time. Wherever you have the opening, I'd leave the carpet there and consider using a 'suspended' french close door, and have the bottom trimed if necessary to clear the carpet's height. Or, suspended sliders. (Watch out for any door w/glass on it. If the bottom needs to be cut, you DON'T want to have to deal w/that!)
Using a high-powered nail gun could be tricky. You get one shot (not to coin a pun) at making the hole. If it doesn't take, you can't reuse the bad hole. Be SURE you get a complete explaination on this from the Rental Agency. Get a BUNCH more shots than you think you'll need. It may be worth having a Pro come in. Since this is tricky, the Pro would also kick the carpet in place too. Again, it's my opinion, based on what little I know on what you know.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll get someone in to frame the wall and tack the carpet. I'll hang the drywall and finish the job. I'll watch what they do in case I want to do that elsewhere. (I was thinking about a room separator for the living room and dining area...they are one big continuous room now).
Interior Stone walls
New partition wall
BUILDING A GIRLS BEDROOM IN A CLOSET
Q-- is there a max size/weight for upper cabinets?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps