Installin a new Interior Wall
IMO, the EASIEST way to do this job is if the carpeting is glued. If it is, you cut out where you will be nailing your base plate. (Use pressure treated wood on slab.) If it's not glued, I'd still remove the carpeting but I'd have a Pro do the tack strips and the base plate. Both can be done at the same time. Wherever you have the opening, I'd leave the carpet there and consider using a 'suspended' french close door, and have the bottom trimed if necessary to clear the carpet's height. Or, suspended sliders. (Watch out for any door w/glass on it. If the bottom needs to be cut, you DON'T want to have to deal w/that!)
Using a high-powered nail gun could be tricky. You get one shot (not to coin a pun) at making the hole. If it doesn't take, you can't reuse the bad hole. Be SURE you get a complete explaination on this from the Rental Agency. Get a BUNCH more shots than you think you'll need. It may be worth having a Pro come in. Since this is tricky, the Pro would also kick the carpet in place too. Again, it's my opinion, based on what little I know on what you know.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll get someone in to frame the wall and tack the carpet. I'll hang the drywall and finish the job. I'll watch what they do in case I want to do that elsewhere. (I was thinking about a room separator for the living room and dining area...they are one big continuous room now).
Interior Stone walls
New partition wall
BUILDING A GIRLS BEDROOM IN A CLOSET
Q-- is there a max size/weight for upper cabinets?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects