Installin a new Interior Wall
IMO, the EASIEST way to do this job is if the carpeting is glued. If it is, you cut out where you will be nailing your base plate. (Use pressure treated wood on slab.) If it's not glued, I'd still remove the carpeting but I'd have a Pro do the tack strips and the base plate. Both can be done at the same time. Wherever you have the opening, I'd leave the carpet there and consider using a 'suspended' french close door, and have the bottom trimed if necessary to clear the carpet's height. Or, suspended sliders. (Watch out for any door w/glass on it. If the bottom needs to be cut, you DON'T want to have to deal w/that!)
Using a high-powered nail gun could be tricky. You get one shot (not to coin a pun) at making the hole. If it doesn't take, you can't reuse the bad hole. Be SURE you get a complete explaination on this from the Rental Agency. Get a BUNCH more shots than you think you'll need. It may be worth having a Pro come in. Since this is tricky, the Pro would also kick the carpet in place too. Again, it's my opinion, based on what little I know on what you know.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll get someone in to frame the wall and tack the carpet. I'll hang the drywall and finish the job. I'll watch what they do in case I want to do that elsewhere. (I was thinking about a room separator for the living room and dining area...they are one big continuous room now).
Interior Stone walls
New partition wall
BUILDING A GIRLS BEDROOM IN A CLOSET
Q-- is there a max size/weight for upper cabinets?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!