Installin a new Interior Wall
IMO, the EASIEST way to do this job is if the carpeting is glued. If it is, you cut out where you will be nailing your base plate. (Use pressure treated wood on slab.) If it's not glued, I'd still remove the carpeting but I'd have a Pro do the tack strips and the base plate. Both can be done at the same time. Wherever you have the opening, I'd leave the carpet there and consider using a 'suspended' french close door, and have the bottom trimed if necessary to clear the carpet's height. Or, suspended sliders. (Watch out for any door w/glass on it. If the bottom needs to be cut, you DON'T want to have to deal w/that!)
Using a high-powered nail gun could be tricky. You get one shot (not to coin a pun) at making the hole. If it doesn't take, you can't reuse the bad hole. Be SURE you get a complete explaination on this from the Rental Agency. Get a BUNCH more shots than you think you'll need. It may be worth having a Pro come in. Since this is tricky, the Pro would also kick the carpet in place too. Again, it's my opinion, based on what little I know on what you know.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll get someone in to frame the wall and tack the carpet. I'll hang the drywall and finish the job. I'll watch what they do in case I want to do that elsewhere. (I was thinking about a room separator for the living room and dining area...they are one big continuous room now).
Interior Stone walls
New partition wall
BUILDING A GIRLS BEDROOM IN A CLOSET
Q-- is there a max size/weight for upper cabinets?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees