ARTIFICIAL WEATHERING OF WOOD
The fence is just over a year old--CCA. I'm wanting to keep it from turning that grey color that occurs when left untreated. Is it better to apply some sort of sealant (Thompson's, etc.) or can I just use stain?
Thanks for your help!
PERSONALLY, ALL THE 'STUFF' ON THE MARKET THAT I'M AWARE OF IS FOR MAKING 'AGED' WOOD LOOK NEW. ULTRA-VIOLET RAYS ARE WHAT MAKE MOST FENCES GRAY IN COLOR. THAT WILL TAKE A YEAR OR 2, OR PERHAPS EVEN LONGER DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH OF THE FENCE IS SHADED. I HOPE SHE REALIZES THAT THE AGED-LOOK WILL AGE THE FENCE. THE IDEA, HERE, IS TO 'REMOVE' THE AGED LOOK EVERY FEW YEARS AND TO TREAT THE WOOD W/A PRESERVATIVE.
YOU DIDN'T SAY WHAT KIND OF WOOD THE FENCE IS. MAYBE YOU CAN PRIME AND PAINT IT GREY, OR SOMETHING. YOUR PARTICULAR REQUEST IS UNIQUE, FOR SURE.
MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.
JAY J -MODERATOR
PS: GOD BLESS AMERICA!
If I may suggest, it's best to create a NEW post since your post is actually a 'follow-up'. I happened along to respond to MAVERICKS and saw yours.
Anyways, ... You'll want to remove the Grey by either a power-washing the fence or using a bleach-wash. After the fence has been allowed to THOROUGHLY dry, you want to seal it. Personally, I'd stay away from Thompson's. You get what you pay for. I've had nothing but bad results, and so have many others I know. If you want a good, quality sealer, use something like Cuprinol or CWV. Yes, it costs more but it's better. And you may get a year or 2 more out of the fence before it has to be redone. You can use a Garden Pump-Sprayer to apply the sealer. Once you start, don't stop. ANd when you're finished, CLEAN the nozzle. Otherwise, it will clog.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects