ARTIFICIAL WEATHERING OF WOOD
The fence is just over a year old--CCA. I'm wanting to keep it from turning that grey color that occurs when left untreated. Is it better to apply some sort of sealant (Thompson's, etc.) or can I just use stain?
Thanks for your help!
PERSONALLY, ALL THE 'STUFF' ON THE MARKET THAT I'M AWARE OF IS FOR MAKING 'AGED' WOOD LOOK NEW. ULTRA-VIOLET RAYS ARE WHAT MAKE MOST FENCES GRAY IN COLOR. THAT WILL TAKE A YEAR OR 2, OR PERHAPS EVEN LONGER DEPENDING ON HOW MUCH OF THE FENCE IS SHADED. I HOPE SHE REALIZES THAT THE AGED-LOOK WILL AGE THE FENCE. THE IDEA, HERE, IS TO 'REMOVE' THE AGED LOOK EVERY FEW YEARS AND TO TREAT THE WOOD W/A PRESERVATIVE.
YOU DIDN'T SAY WHAT KIND OF WOOD THE FENCE IS. MAYBE YOU CAN PRIME AND PAINT IT GREY, OR SOMETHING. YOUR PARTICULAR REQUEST IS UNIQUE, FOR SURE.
MY BEST TO YA AND HOPE THIS HELPS.
JAY J -MODERATOR
PS: GOD BLESS AMERICA!
If I may suggest, it's best to create a NEW post since your post is actually a 'follow-up'. I happened along to respond to MAVERICKS and saw yours.
Anyways, ... You'll want to remove the Grey by either a power-washing the fence or using a bleach-wash. After the fence has been allowed to THOROUGHLY dry, you want to seal it. Personally, I'd stay away from Thompson's. You get what you pay for. I've had nothing but bad results, and so have many others I know. If you want a good, quality sealer, use something like Cuprinol or CWV. Yes, it costs more but it's better. And you may get a year or 2 more out of the fence before it has to be redone. You can use a Garden Pump-Sprayer to apply the sealer. Once you start, don't stop. ANd when you're finished, CLEAN the nozzle. Otherwise, it will clog.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them