I'm not sure where the moldings you describe as ruined came from. Are they from the rim between the sink and the counter or are they from the cabinet/countertop edge?
If their from the countertop edge and you're not in a rush, you could try replacing the aluminum strip moldings with new ones. I ordered the full catalog from www.outwater.com to look for manufactured plaster crown moldings and remembered seeing the aluminum strip moldings on a few of the pages. (It stuck in my mind because it reminded me of the "Happy Days" TV sitcom)
If the moldings are from the sink rim, check or ask in a plumbing supply store or the plumbing section of your big orange or blue store. They should be able to point you to replacement pieces and options.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!