We are turning an old grainery into a small economy apartment for my retired parents to stay in when they come to visit during the summers. Need help figureing out how to keep the mice out, and insulate the floor. The grainery sits on a cement foundation with 6x6's running the length and then 2, 2x6's nailed together on top of them running the width, there is a 2' crawl space under the floor with a dirt floor. The grainery is 28x20. Also wondering the best way to keep the vault ceiling, but it is only 2x4 construction and it needs to be insulated, would sistering on 2x8's alow enought room to get insulation in there? oh yeh we are in southwest minnesota, although this will only be used during the summers!
If you are going to carpet the floor then the underneath can be coated with a product found at www.paintonce.com. It insulates at R-24, thats equal to six inches of fiberglass batting. The seller guarantees a 30% heating and cooling cost reduction on homes coated with the product or they pay the difference. It rolls on and is 12 mils thick ( about 1/2 a credit card) after two coats. It carries a lifetime warranty.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes