Supporting post to kitchen island?
If the Contractor says the post is needed, there's a good chance that it's needed. Your only other options is to hire a Structural Engineer or better yet, an Architect who has access to such 'resources' AND can help with the design. It's what they do for a living and in many, MANY cases, it's $$$ well spent. (I don't think you've 'renovated' too many homes to know what your options are and what the Codes are and so on.) Trust your instincts. Spend some $$$ and hire a Pro that's an expert in the area in question.
At the same time, there are some very strong beams that are made these days that span quite a distance. Again, this is where the SE and Arch. come into play. Besides, they may have some interesting ideas to 'play' around with a post and beam. Oh, to answer your question, the aforementioned Pros can, most likely, have a sketch drawn (using a CAD computer program) showing you some 'ideas'.) Of course, it will cost you BUT it's $$$ well spent. It's a WHOLE heck-of-a-lot cheaper now, than later.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Kitchen Island column
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
Surell Solid Surfacing
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes