Supporting post to kitchen island?
If the Contractor says the post is needed, there's a good chance that it's needed. Your only other options is to hire a Structural Engineer or better yet, an Architect who has access to such 'resources' AND can help with the design. It's what they do for a living and in many, MANY cases, it's $$$ well spent. (I don't think you've 'renovated' too many homes to know what your options are and what the Codes are and so on.) Trust your instincts. Spend some $$$ and hire a Pro that's an expert in the area in question.
At the same time, there are some very strong beams that are made these days that span quite a distance. Again, this is where the SE and Arch. come into play. Besides, they may have some interesting ideas to 'play' around with a post and beam. Oh, to answer your question, the aforementioned Pros can, most likely, have a sketch drawn (using a CAD computer program) showing you some 'ideas'.) Of course, it will cost you BUT it's $$$ well spent. It's a WHOLE heck-of-a-lot cheaper now, than later.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Kitchen Island column
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
Surell Solid Surfacing
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!