Supporting post to kitchen island?
If the Contractor says the post is needed, there's a good chance that it's needed. Your only other options is to hire a Structural Engineer or better yet, an Architect who has access to such 'resources' AND can help with the design. It's what they do for a living and in many, MANY cases, it's $$$ well spent. (I don't think you've 'renovated' too many homes to know what your options are and what the Codes are and so on.) Trust your instincts. Spend some $$$ and hire a Pro that's an expert in the area in question.
At the same time, there are some very strong beams that are made these days that span quite a distance. Again, this is where the SE and Arch. come into play. Besides, they may have some interesting ideas to 'play' around with a post and beam. Oh, to answer your question, the aforementioned Pros can, most likely, have a sketch drawn (using a CAD computer program) showing you some 'ideas'.) Of course, it will cost you BUT it's $$$ well spent. It's a WHOLE heck-of-a-lot cheaper now, than later.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Kitchen Island column
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
Surell Solid Surfacing
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates