Supporting post to kitchen island?
If the Contractor says the post is needed, there's a good chance that it's needed. Your only other options is to hire a Structural Engineer or better yet, an Architect who has access to such 'resources' AND can help with the design. It's what they do for a living and in many, MANY cases, it's $$$ well spent. (I don't think you've 'renovated' too many homes to know what your options are and what the Codes are and so on.) Trust your instincts. Spend some $$$ and hire a Pro that's an expert in the area in question.
At the same time, there are some very strong beams that are made these days that span quite a distance. Again, this is where the SE and Arch. come into play. Besides, they may have some interesting ideas to 'play' around with a post and beam. Oh, to answer your question, the aforementioned Pros can, most likely, have a sketch drawn (using a CAD computer program) showing you some 'ideas'.) Of course, it will cost you BUT it's $$$ well spent. It's a WHOLE heck-of-a-lot cheaper now, than later.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Kitchen Island column
How do I secure the kitchen island to porcelain tile...
Surell Solid Surfacing
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees