I have a 24x30 masonry block garage (on a slab) sitting on an adjoining lot to my house. I'm investigating the addition of a one or two bedroom guest house/mother-in-law apartment onto it. Other than the obvious building permit and neighbor approval (if necessary), do you have any other recommendations for me? I'm trying to do this on the cheap - basically for supplies cost and doing all of my own labor. My ideal would be to find an existing plan for a 24x30 that I can use instead of designing a custom plan, but most of the plan websites I've found don't have small homes (720 sq ft plans). I live in the county (TN) and there are a variety of home styles around me so I think the approval process should be pretty easy. My biggest roadblock is my budget, I would like to frame out the exterior at first and then complete the remainder over the course of a year or two (typical redneck project). Any advice would be appreciated.
It's not clear to me whether this is already a 2-story building, or if you intend to add a floor to an existing 1-story building.
Sorry. It's currently a one story with pre-fab trusses sitting on the block (or sill plate) around the perimeter. The inside of the roof is exposed to the garage below (no supporting joists/girders/piers), so when I remove the roof and trusses I'll have a 'hole' to fill up with joists & subfloor before I can begin the second floor. I want to add one (large) or two (small) bedrooms, a full bath, laundry facilities, and an open living room/kitchen. One 30' face has a great view so I'll probably put the living room on that side, taking advantage of a sliding glass door or large windows for a view. The other sides I'm not as concerned with, I'll put in whatever windows are required for code in the rooms but I don't plan on anything spectacular.
Best way to heat an addition?
Living through major renovations - advice/help needed!
Need to Correct Garage Floor Slope
Supporting 78 Collection on 2nd Floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!