I have a sagging first floor in the duplex I own. Age approx 100 years with a crawlspace for the basement. What should I do? Leave alone or get someone one to look at it? Is this even a problem. The sag (approx 1/2 to 1 inch - water rolls to this area if washing floors) is more a gentle slope and appears to be where the crawl space is. It has not change in the last two years (I owned it for 2years). And only sags where the crawl space is or in the kitchen (the living room, bathroom and spare room on first floor appear level). There is no problems of sagging floors on the second floor or with any doors/doorframes closing or cracks in the walls from shifting. Thanks for any help.
This is one of those 'what is causing the problem' questions. I would suggest a good inspection by a qualified person. It may be 'nothing' and you can live with it or, it may be serious damage to joists or supports. Check for water, insect, and contractor damage. Some plumbers are prone to cut joists to the extent the support system is in trouble.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!