Waiver of Lien?
We're having a screen room put on the back of our house. Our in-laws suggested getting a "Waiver of Lien" form from our contractor. Anyone hear of this before? Sounds familiar, but.... Is a "Waiver of Lien" form common now-a-days or is this "old school"? Outside of asking for a copy of the insurance, what else should we ask for in order to protect ourselves? Thanks!
Anybody who works on your property and feels like they were cheated or slighted can file a lien against that property for the amount of the dispute. In Iowa they have 90 days to do so. If they sign a lien waiver they are essentially waiving the right to file a lien. You can not transfer or sell the property until that lien is settled.
Otherwise the banks would make you wait the 90 days before giving you a mortgage on a newly constructed house. They don't want any liens on it.
Removing liens is a hassle but it is done frequently after the misunderstanding with the contractor is settled.
Call your mortgage banker or lawyer for a copy of a lien waiver and use them.
Looking for copy of "This Old House" First Episode
HELP! Home of the Future
HELP-water diffusers instead of gutters
Victim of contractor fraud, Mount Vernon, Wa 98274
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps