Waiver of Lien?
We're having a screen room put on the back of our house. Our in-laws suggested getting a "Waiver of Lien" form from our contractor. Anyone hear of this before? Sounds familiar, but.... Is a "Waiver of Lien" form common now-a-days or is this "old school"? Outside of asking for a copy of the insurance, what else should we ask for in order to protect ourselves? Thanks!
Anybody who works on your property and feels like they were cheated or slighted can file a lien against that property for the amount of the dispute. In Iowa they have 90 days to do so. If they sign a lien waiver they are essentially waiving the right to file a lien. You can not transfer or sell the property until that lien is settled.
Otherwise the banks would make you wait the 90 days before giving you a mortgage on a newly constructed house. They don't want any liens on it.
Removing liens is a hassle but it is done frequently after the misunderstanding with the contractor is settled.
Call your mortgage banker or lawyer for a copy of a lien waiver and use them.
Looking for copy of "This Old House" First Episode
HELP! Home of the Future
HELP-water diffusers instead of gutters
Victim of contractor fraud, Mount Vernon, Wa 98274
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes