Waiver of Lien?
We're having a screen room put on the back of our house. Our in-laws suggested getting a "Waiver of Lien" form from our contractor. Anyone hear of this before? Sounds familiar, but.... Is a "Waiver of Lien" form common now-a-days or is this "old school"? Outside of asking for a copy of the insurance, what else should we ask for in order to protect ourselves? Thanks!
Anybody who works on your property and feels like they were cheated or slighted can file a lien against that property for the amount of the dispute. In Iowa they have 90 days to do so. If they sign a lien waiver they are essentially waiving the right to file a lien. You can not transfer or sell the property until that lien is settled.
Otherwise the banks would make you wait the 90 days before giving you a mortgage on a newly constructed house. They don't want any liens on it.
Removing liens is a hassle but it is done frequently after the misunderstanding with the contractor is settled.
Call your mortgage banker or lawyer for a copy of a lien waiver and use them.
Looking for copy of "This Old House" First Episode
HELP! Home of the Future
HELP-water diffusers instead of gutters
Victim of contractor fraud, Mount Vernon, Wa 98274
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING