I recently moved into a 40 year old house which has a prefab metal zero clearance wood burning fireplace. It appears to be structurally sound but looks awful and provides very little heat. I would like to install a gas fired insert with a blower that would provide warmth as well as ambiance. My contractor tells me that most fireplaces have a knock out through which one can install the gas line for the insert. Mine does not. A label inside the firebox says it is made by Metalstamp Inc. in Savannah Georgia and is model Savannah 4228. I tried to find the company but it appears no longer to be in business. Is anybody familiar with their line or can you tell me if it is possible to introduce a gas line somehow? My only alternative is to replace the entire unit which I would like to avoid. Thanks.
A wood burning insert may not have been designed to accept natural gas or propane. However there is a way to check. If you look for a gas regulator and/ or gas valve, then you may be able to convert it. If these items are not found then it may be easy enough to remove the insert and switch over to a gas log set with a blower.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight