We just bought a home and the former occupant had cats in the downstairs bedroom, my room. She had peel and stick tile in there which I plan to pull up. The floor underneath is smelly because the tile was old and loose. The cats obviously missed the mark a lot! It is not hard wood floor, I guess it is plywood or something similar. I am putting carpet down, how do I fix the smell! There is also a lot of cat litter dust, can I mop the floor without damaging it after I pull up the tile? It is unfinished wood, I suppose.
Once you remove the tile and get the dirt up you will need to apply a coat of Zinsser BIN pigmented shellac over the entire floor, and this will hold back the odor.
Someone told me to use soemthing called dead man's paint. This covers up all and any smells. In my house I have never got the cat smell out I want to take out the carpet and replace with new carpet but I think the cat smell is in the wood. I tried to find this paint but at the local hardware store they don't know what I am talking about. Is there a different name. I would really like to paint the floors and seal them so the smell doesn't leak out again. Can you help?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!