We just bought a home and the former occupant had cats in the downstairs bedroom, my room. She had peel and stick tile in there which I plan to pull up. The floor underneath is smelly because the tile was old and loose. The cats obviously missed the mark a lot! It is not hard wood floor, I guess it is plywood or something similar. I am putting carpet down, how do I fix the smell! There is also a lot of cat litter dust, can I mop the floor without damaging it after I pull up the tile? It is unfinished wood, I suppose.
Once you remove the tile and get the dirt up you will need to apply a coat of Zinsser BIN pigmented shellac over the entire floor, and this will hold back the odor.
Someone told me to use soemthing called dead man's paint. This covers up all and any smells. In my house I have never got the cat smell out I want to take out the carpet and replace with new carpet but I think the cat smell is in the wood. I tried to find this paint but at the local hardware store they don't know what I am talking about. Is there a different name. I would really like to paint the floors and seal them so the smell doesn't leak out again. Can you help?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight