We just bought a home and the former occupant had cats in the downstairs bedroom, my room. She had peel and stick tile in there which I plan to pull up. The floor underneath is smelly because the tile was old and loose. The cats obviously missed the mark a lot! It is not hard wood floor, I guess it is plywood or something similar. I am putting carpet down, how do I fix the smell! There is also a lot of cat litter dust, can I mop the floor without damaging it after I pull up the tile? It is unfinished wood, I suppose.
Once you remove the tile and get the dirt up you will need to apply a coat of Zinsser BIN pigmented shellac over the entire floor, and this will hold back the odor.
Someone told me to use soemthing called dead man's paint. This covers up all and any smells. In my house I have never got the cat smell out I want to take out the carpet and replace with new carpet but I think the cat smell is in the wood. I tried to find this paint but at the local hardware store they don't know what I am talking about. Is there a different name. I would really like to paint the floors and seal them so the smell doesn't leak out again. Can you help?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!