We just bought a home and the former occupant had cats in the downstairs bedroom, my room. She had peel and stick tile in there which I plan to pull up. The floor underneath is smelly because the tile was old and loose. The cats obviously missed the mark a lot! It is not hard wood floor, I guess it is plywood or something similar. I am putting carpet down, how do I fix the smell! There is also a lot of cat litter dust, can I mop the floor without damaging it after I pull up the tile? It is unfinished wood, I suppose.
Once you remove the tile and get the dirt up you will need to apply a coat of Zinsser BIN pigmented shellac over the entire floor, and this will hold back the odor.
Someone told me to use soemthing called dead man's paint. This covers up all and any smells. In my house I have never got the cat smell out I want to take out the carpet and replace with new carpet but I think the cat smell is in the wood. I tried to find this paint but at the local hardware store they don't know what I am talking about. Is there a different name. I would really like to paint the floors and seal them so the smell doesn't leak out again. Can you help?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes