We just bought a home and the former occupant had cats in the downstairs bedroom, my room. She had peel and stick tile in there which I plan to pull up. The floor underneath is smelly because the tile was old and loose. The cats obviously missed the mark a lot! It is not hard wood floor, I guess it is plywood or something similar. I am putting carpet down, how do I fix the smell! There is also a lot of cat litter dust, can I mop the floor without damaging it after I pull up the tile? It is unfinished wood, I suppose.
Once you remove the tile and get the dirt up you will need to apply a coat of Zinsser BIN pigmented shellac over the entire floor, and this will hold back the odor.
Someone told me to use soemthing called dead man's paint. This covers up all and any smells. In my house I have never got the cat smell out I want to take out the carpet and replace with new carpet but I think the cat smell is in the wood. I tried to find this paint but at the local hardware store they don't know what I am talking about. Is there a different name. I would really like to paint the floors and seal them so the smell doesn't leak out again. Can you help?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?