Most of our backyard currently is part of a long asphalt driveway. Our plan is to get rid of the asphalt and have a water garden, grass and trees.
What's the best way to get rid of asphalt? I'm thinking you must have to jack-hammer it up. Any other ideas?
Taking out asphalt is not a very technical job, just a lot of work. Most can be broken up using a sledge hammer, or you could rent an electric powered jack hammer. Its nice to use a bobcat to remove the debris, but prying up the pieces and moving them to a dumpster with a wheelbarrow can be done, it will just take a while. A heavy steel digging bar or spud, and a block to use as leverage will help. When all the asphalt and base is removed, expect to have a load or two of topsoil brought in to give you plantable clean earth.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love