Most of our backyard currently is part of a long asphalt driveway. Our plan is to get rid of the asphalt and have a water garden, grass and trees.
What's the best way to get rid of asphalt? I'm thinking you must have to jack-hammer it up. Any other ideas?
Taking out asphalt is not a very technical job, just a lot of work. Most can be broken up using a sledge hammer, or you could rent an electric powered jack hammer. Its nice to use a bobcat to remove the debris, but prying up the pieces and moving them to a dumpster with a wheelbarrow can be done, it will just take a while. A heavy steel digging bar or spud, and a block to use as leverage will help. When all the asphalt and base is removed, expect to have a load or two of topsoil brought in to give you plantable clean earth.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers