I made the mistake of trying to clean a piece of pressboard with ammonia; this has produced a terrible odor! Any idea how I can neutralize this? The pressboard is actually the cover for the spare tire in the car -- so the smell is unavoidable! I'd love ot know why this happened as well, if there are any chemists out ther.
Pressboard is bonded with urea formaldehyde resin. Ammonia probably was not the best thing for that resin bond. I don't think sophisticated chemistry is going to get the job done. Remove the panel and seal it with a urethane or alkyd primer (oil base paint). The odor will be sealed, and the panel can be cleaned in the future as needed. If neutraliztion is attempted you would need an acid to react with ammonaia, but I am concerned it would weaken the board. The coating should help matters anyway and prevent further deterioration.
Help!!!! HORRIBLE SMELL in only one room in house...
Routing a large "french" curve
Strong pet odor through house
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!