I acquired an O'Keefe and Merritt model 270-8 stove with a chrome stovetop and griddle. It has bakelite knobs and a white porcelain finish. It has one small chip on the storage door corner. It is in good shape, but has a lot of grease in cracks and around knobs. What kind of products should I use to clean it? I'm afraid that current commercial products will be too harsh and diminish the surface. Can I use a magnesium ore aluminum polish on chrome? I believe it is usually used for cars. I was thinking of using Jubilee or baking soda on the porcelain. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.
I used fume free oven cleaner. It worked very well & didn't damage any part of the stove. My 1940's O'K & M was caked with grease! It took about three days and lots of elbow grease to get it clean. I cleaned it on my patio with a hose & 3 of the kitchen scrubbies used for nonstick pans. Just make sure not to spray the electrical parts with water. I put a garbage bag around the clock and plug in parts at the top of my stove, then taped it very well to keep water out of thesre parts. Good luck with your stove!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!