I acquired an O'Keefe and Merritt model 270-8 stove with a chrome stovetop and griddle. It has bakelite knobs and a white porcelain finish. It has one small chip on the storage door corner. It is in good shape, but has a lot of grease in cracks and around knobs. What kind of products should I use to clean it? I'm afraid that current commercial products will be too harsh and diminish the surface. Can I use a magnesium ore aluminum polish on chrome? I believe it is usually used for cars. I was thinking of using Jubilee or baking soda on the porcelain. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.
I used fume free oven cleaner. It worked very well & didn't damage any part of the stove. My 1940's O'K & M was caked with grease! It took about three days and lots of elbow grease to get it clean. I cleaned it on my patio with a hose & 3 of the kitchen scrubbies used for nonstick pans. Just make sure not to spray the electrical parts with water. I put a garbage bag around the clock and plug in parts at the top of my stove, then taped it very well to keep water out of thesre parts. Good luck with your stove!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes