I acquired an O'Keefe and Merritt model 270-8 stove with a chrome stovetop and griddle. It has bakelite knobs and a white porcelain finish. It has one small chip on the storage door corner. It is in good shape, but has a lot of grease in cracks and around knobs. What kind of products should I use to clean it? I'm afraid that current commercial products will be too harsh and diminish the surface. Can I use a magnesium ore aluminum polish on chrome? I believe it is usually used for cars. I was thinking of using Jubilee or baking soda on the porcelain. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated.
I used fume free oven cleaner. It worked very well & didn't damage any part of the stove. My 1940's O'K & M was caked with grease! It took about three days and lots of elbow grease to get it clean. I cleaned it on my patio with a hose & 3 of the kitchen scrubbies used for nonstick pans. Just make sure not to spray the electrical parts with water. I put a garbage bag around the clock and plug in parts at the top of my stove, then taped it very well to keep water out of thesre parts. Good luck with your stove!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!