I am converting a very small bedroom into a home office and want to make the closet my "built-in" bookshelf unit. The dimensions of the closet are 6x4, but it isn't a walk-in. There are no doors on the front, so I trimmed the opening with 1x pine stained a deep honey, so it looks really rich. I planned on using 2x12x6 clear lumber (stained similar) as the shelves to hold everything from hoards of magazines to textbooks. Trying to keep in with the craftsman style, handcrafted look, how could I make shelves span that distance without exposing the shelf brackets and still hold the weight. Any creative ideas? I just think seeing brackets would make it look kind of industrial and wondered if there is any other way.
Based on what the previous owner of my house did. Use molding on back and sides of closet to support shelf. This was for hats, etc in the clothes closets. Since you have a long span and you want heavy loads you might need more support. How about vertical boards to support as if you have sets of bookcases (or just put in bookcases)? Put up trim boards to match the trim around the opening.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!