I posted the following on the plumbing threads, but I don't know where the problem is originating:
Every night, from about 9:30 to 10:00 or so, we get a strong fishy smell in our upstairs hallway, which is near our bathroom. It's very difficult to locate where exactly it's originating from.
Help! I have no idea what this is. A clue might be (hopefully not a red herring) that the water to our downstairs bathroom is shut off b/c of a leaky toilet.
Any ideas what this might be?
I have the same problem. When you walk in the door you first smell it in the living room at certain times. We checked out every other room in the house and no smell. What is up with this? Need help! It is bothering us.
Finally we solved our fishy smell problem in a house we were trying to sell!! We thought the smell was always coming from the bathroom & w/come & go. After a contractor checked the traps and told us to run bleach water down all drains it seemed to go away-only to come back. This time he checked the floors and pulled the toilet off. The toilet was not sealed & w/allowed sewer gases to come back up AND the floor was giving away because the toilet was leaking. None of this was found in a professional home inspection. When the floor was pulled there were hundreds of dormat ants that were also giving off a sweet, sickly smell. After flooring was completely redone we thought that was it. A months later a nasty smell came up again. This time we called the furnance maint. person out to check for gas leaks. There was a gas leak just outside the kitchen in another room attached to the hookup to the water heater. After that was fixed no more smells for months so we believe both the areas were the problem alhough the smell wasn't present all the time but would come and go. Hope this helps as it sure took awhile to get to the bottom of our fishy smell and I think we lost a few sales because of it.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight