I posted the following on the plumbing threads, but I don't know where the problem is originating:
Every night, from about 9:30 to 10:00 or so, we get a strong fishy smell in our upstairs hallway, which is near our bathroom. It's very difficult to locate where exactly it's originating from.
Help! I have no idea what this is. A clue might be (hopefully not a red herring) that the water to our downstairs bathroom is shut off b/c of a leaky toilet.
Any ideas what this might be?
I have the same problem. When you walk in the door you first smell it in the living room at certain times. We checked out every other room in the house and no smell. What is up with this? Need help! It is bothering us.
Finally we solved our fishy smell problem in a house we were trying to sell!! We thought the smell was always coming from the bathroom & w/come & go. After a contractor checked the traps and told us to run bleach water down all drains it seemed to go away-only to come back. This time he checked the floors and pulled the toilet off. The toilet was not sealed & w/allowed sewer gases to come back up AND the floor was giving away because the toilet was leaking. None of this was found in a professional home inspection. When the floor was pulled there were hundreds of dormat ants that were also giving off a sweet, sickly smell. After flooring was completely redone we thought that was it. A months later a nasty smell came up again. This time we called the furnance maint. person out to check for gas leaks. There was a gas leak just outside the kitchen in another room attached to the hookup to the water heater. After that was fixed no more smells for months so we believe both the areas were the problem alhough the smell wasn't present all the time but would come and go. Hope this helps as it sure took awhile to get to the bottom of our fishy smell and I think we lost a few sales because of it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!