We live in the country and don't have any trash pick up service so we recycle most things and burn the remainder of our trash. We have a 55-gallon burn barrel that is about 1/3 of the way full with ashes. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do with these ashes? We are very selective as to what we burn so we haven't burned any objects that are harmful or contain dangerous chemicals.
Screen the ash to remove large or metallic material and add it to a compost pile or work it into planting beds. I used to throw it into the manure pile, but leaves or other organic composts can benefit from the mineral addition of ash. Ash could also be disposed by scattering it in a thin layer on the ground. Rainfall and falling leaves will soon cover it and work it into the soil. Another option, dig a pit and bury it. If all else fails, include it in your next trip to the landfill or transfer station.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!