I live in a raised bungalow that has concrete steps leading to the front door and a brick patio/landing at the bottom of the steps. The patio has heaved, cracked, crumbled and sunk over the last few years. When it rained, water was running from our garden, between the patio and our front steps rather than out onto the front lawn. This eroded the concrete steps, washed dirt onto the driveway and damaged the patio. We had a wick installed in our garden in order to drain the water down to the house's weeping tile and prevent it from running past the patio.
Our driveway has also sunk about 1.5 inches over the last 5 years. The drainage company that did the work suggested that we might want to see what's causing the driveway to sink as well and that the driveway issues could also be linked to the patio problems. In order to do this, he said they'd have to tear up the driveway where it meets the garage, and dig down to see what the drainage is like. Then if necessary, another wick could be installed there to drain the water down to the foundation. Would doing this solve future drainage issues and prevent future driveway heaving? The driveway does need repairing at some point so checking on the drainage would force us to fix the driveway as well.
He also suggested that we not have a landscaper redo our front patio with new bricks this year, but instead we install some simple patio stones and a step and wait to see what the winter does to the patio stones.
Our patio and step was taken apart to fix the eroded concrete so we're stuck with caution tape across our front steps. I need to have this fixed but I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes