I live in a raised bungalow that has concrete steps leading to the front door and a brick patio/landing at the bottom of the steps. The patio has heaved, cracked, crumbled and sunk over the last few years. When it rained, water was running from our garden, between the patio and our front steps rather than out onto the front lawn. This eroded the concrete steps, washed dirt onto the driveway and damaged the patio. We had a wick installed in our garden in order to drain the water down to the house's weeping tile and prevent it from running past the patio.
Our driveway has also sunk about 1.5 inches over the last 5 years. The drainage company that did the work suggested that we might want to see what's causing the driveway to sink as well and that the driveway issues could also be linked to the patio problems. In order to do this, he said they'd have to tear up the driveway where it meets the garage, and dig down to see what the drainage is like. Then if necessary, another wick could be installed there to drain the water down to the foundation. Would doing this solve future drainage issues and prevent future driveway heaving? The driveway does need repairing at some point so checking on the drainage would force us to fix the driveway as well.
He also suggested that we not have a landscaper redo our front patio with new bricks this year, but instead we install some simple patio stones and a step and wait to see what the winter does to the patio stones.
Our patio and step was taken apart to fix the eroded concrete so we're stuck with caution tape across our front steps. I need to have this fixed but I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!