I'm buying a newly constructed home that was a "inventory" or "spec" home and so was fairly well along in the construction process when I bought it. Consequently I didn’t have much of a chance to go out and have an inspector take a look at it b4 the drywall went up. My close date is 11/28/06 and I'm wondering if I should have an inspector with me when I go through the final New Home Owner inspection. If it helps the builder is US Homes, it’s a signature series home and is located in AZ.
Definitely get an inspector. I'm a new home builder and unfortunately a lot of these "production" builders will hire anyone to build their homes, regardless of qualifications. You would be very surprised by what I see. As a builder myself, I always welcome a visit from a home inspector. Unfortunately, he will not be able to see behind the drywall, but he will still be able to check the attic for signs of truss damage and proper insulation. They will usually climb on the roof too and make sure the shingles or roof tiles are installed properly, etc. My only caution is that a lot of them will note cosmetic issues if they cannot find anything wrong structurally. They feel they have to write something down to make you feel like your money was well spent. Don't be too concerned with the cosmetic issues. Congratulations on your new home.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!