After lots and lots and LOTS of pondering what to do with the corridor kitchen in our 1916 home, I've come up with the following plan which will hopefully meet my needs (function) and some desires (new appliances) without costing a fortune (a complete tear out and replace):
* Repaint the existing solid wood cabinets and replace all the drawer boxes and install new drawer runners (they're wood on wood at the moment).
* Replace the red/orange laminate countertops (a la mid-80's) with something stone/rock-like in appearance(e.g., Corian "Rosetta" or a laminate) on one side of the kitchen and use a piece of marble I found in the basement on the other side of the kitchen (with stove and sink).
Remove the existing 1980s wallpaper and paint the walls.
Replace the existing 1980s range and dishwasher.
Remove tracking and shelves on one wall (for food storage) and install rack for pots and pans.
Is there a preferred order of such things? E.g., do you start with painting the walls then the cabinets? Do you install the countertop or paint the walls first?
Thanks very much for your advice!
To Construct A Used Bookstore: Should I Use All Ste...
covering an unwanted door with drywall
New home owner - basics questions
SNAKE!!! IN the dishwasher!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY