After lots and lots and LOTS of pondering what to do with the corridor kitchen in our 1916 home, I've come up with the following plan which will hopefully meet my needs (function) and some desires (new appliances) without costing a fortune (a complete tear out and replace):
* Repaint the existing solid wood cabinets and replace all the drawer boxes and install new drawer runners (they're wood on wood at the moment).
* Replace the red/orange laminate countertops (a la mid-80's) with something stone/rock-like in appearance(e.g., Corian "Rosetta" or a laminate) on one side of the kitchen and use a piece of marble I found in the basement on the other side of the kitchen (with stove and sink).
Remove the existing 1980s wallpaper and paint the walls.
Replace the existing 1980s range and dishwasher.
Remove tracking and shelves on one wall (for food storage) and install rack for pots and pans.
Is there a preferred order of such things? E.g., do you start with painting the walls then the cabinets? Do you install the countertop or paint the walls first?
Thanks very much for your advice!
To Construct A Used Bookstore: Should I Use All Ste...
covering an unwanted door with drywall
New home owner - basics questions
SNAKE!!! IN the dishwasher!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!