After lots and lots and LOTS of pondering what to do with the corridor kitchen in our 1916 home, I've come up with the following plan which will hopefully meet my needs (function) and some desires (new appliances) without costing a fortune (a complete tear out and replace):
* Repaint the existing solid wood cabinets and replace all the drawer boxes and install new drawer runners (they're wood on wood at the moment).
* Replace the red/orange laminate countertops (a la mid-80's) with something stone/rock-like in appearance(e.g., Corian "Rosetta" or a laminate) on one side of the kitchen and use a piece of marble I found in the basement on the other side of the kitchen (with stove and sink).
Remove the existing 1980s wallpaper and paint the walls.
Replace the existing 1980s range and dishwasher.
Remove tracking and shelves on one wall (for food storage) and install rack for pots and pans.
Is there a preferred order of such things? E.g., do you start with painting the walls then the cabinets? Do you install the countertop or paint the walls first?
Thanks very much for your advice!
To Construct A Used Bookstore: Should I Use All Ste...
covering an unwanted door with drywall
New home owner - basics questions
SNAKE!!! IN the dishwasher!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps