After lots and lots and LOTS of pondering what to do with the corridor kitchen in our 1916 home, I've come up with the following plan which will hopefully meet my needs (function) and some desires (new appliances) without costing a fortune (a complete tear out and replace):
* Repaint the existing solid wood cabinets and replace all the drawer boxes and install new drawer runners (they're wood on wood at the moment).
* Replace the red/orange laminate countertops (a la mid-80's) with something stone/rock-like in appearance(e.g., Corian "Rosetta" or a laminate) on one side of the kitchen and use a piece of marble I found in the basement on the other side of the kitchen (with stove and sink).
Remove the existing 1980s wallpaper and paint the walls.
Replace the existing 1980s range and dishwasher.
Remove tracking and shelves on one wall (for food storage) and install rack for pots and pans.
Is there a preferred order of such things? E.g., do you start with painting the walls then the cabinets? Do you install the countertop or paint the walls first?
Thanks very much for your advice!
To Construct A Used Bookstore: Should I Use All Ste...
covering an unwanted door with drywall
New home owner - basics questions
SNAKE!!! IN the dishwasher!!!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs