In my attic, there are 1x4 lengths of wood attatched horizontally to every third roof beam (truss?). The boards, some warped, some tight, and some doing nothing whatsover, are constantly giving me headaches, literally. They are all around 5 feet from the flooring, and they are a big pain in the butt while I'm installing new insulation, and when I need to store a few things up there. Were they used for the initial construction of the house only? What real purpose are they serving now? Also, if I shouldn't remove them, is there any other way to alter them w/o compromising their function? Thanks!
Did some homework, and found out what I was looking at were collar beams. I read that they help to keep the roof from sagging or warping. I also read that some people remove them, but I guess I won't. I guess I'd only be inviting problems to start if I removed them. Please feel free to give me some opinions on this.
Hey, thanks for your thoughts k2. Yeah, I'm leaving them up, but I'm not thrilled about it. Fortunately, I won't have to worry about working up there again in the near future, I hope. I use the attic for limited storage, and I don't put anything heavy up there, except occassionally me.
Thanks again k2!
Thanks again k2!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates