In my attic, there are 1x4 lengths of wood attatched horizontally to every third roof beam (truss?). The boards, some warped, some tight, and some doing nothing whatsover, are constantly giving me headaches, literally. They are all around 5 feet from the flooring, and they are a big pain in the butt while I'm installing new insulation, and when I need to store a few things up there. Were they used for the initial construction of the house only? What real purpose are they serving now? Also, if I shouldn't remove them, is there any other way to alter them w/o compromising their function? Thanks!
Did some homework, and found out what I was looking at were collar beams. I read that they help to keep the roof from sagging or warping. I also read that some people remove them, but I guess I won't. I guess I'd only be inviting problems to start if I removed them. Please feel free to give me some opinions on this.
Hey, thanks for your thoughts k2. Yeah, I'm leaving them up, but I'm not thrilled about it. Fortunately, I won't have to worry about working up there again in the near future, I hope. I use the attic for limited storage, and I don't put anything heavy up there, except occassionally me.
Thanks again k2!
Thanks again k2!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love