In my attic, there are 1x4 lengths of wood attatched horizontally to every third roof beam (truss?). The boards, some warped, some tight, and some doing nothing whatsover, are constantly giving me headaches, literally. They are all around 5 feet from the flooring, and they are a big pain in the butt while I'm installing new insulation, and when I need to store a few things up there. Were they used for the initial construction of the house only? What real purpose are they serving now? Also, if I shouldn't remove them, is there any other way to alter them w/o compromising their function? Thanks!
Did some homework, and found out what I was looking at were collar beams. I read that they help to keep the roof from sagging or warping. I also read that some people remove them, but I guess I won't. I guess I'd only be inviting problems to start if I removed them. Please feel free to give me some opinions on this.
Hey, thanks for your thoughts k2. Yeah, I'm leaving them up, but I'm not thrilled about it. Fortunately, I won't have to worry about working up there again in the near future, I hope. I use the attic for limited storage, and I don't put anything heavy up there, except occassionally me.
Thanks again k2!
Thanks again k2!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees