Hello everyone, I am new here and a new homeowner. I figured there was no better place to go than Bob Vila's web site for some advice!
We bought a beautiful 4 bedroom, 1 bath house in the city. Upstairs, there are 3 bedrooms - which actually are my husband and I's offices and the guest room. There is also a half bathroom calling my name. It seems 12 years ago before the people before US bought it, there was plumbing put in upstairs to accommodate a half bath. As we have seen with other things, they just never attempted to finish it off (we fixed a chandelier that did not work for 12 years!). We just finished repainting our hallway and have decided it is time to tackle this half bath. BUT I have no idea where to begin!
We have followed all the piping and it all appears to be there. My father in law said we can purchase a "testing" faucet to check water pressure. The only thing with plumbing WE see is that the drain pipe seems pretty high for the sink, so we think that may need to be cut.
Other than that, it seems we just have to wall in the piping and insulation with drywall and do the floor and put in the fixtures. From what I am gathering, we should do plumbing, electrical, flooring, walls, fixtures, in that order. Does that seem right?
I have done searches on finishing a bathroom but I only seem to find stuff on remodeling an existing one or building one from scratch. I guess I am just looking for some direction before calling a plumber, etc. if it is not needed.
Where To Start?
Where to start
Where to research decorating a house built during th...
Adding a bathroom and don't know where to start
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size