Hello everyone, I am new here and a new homeowner. I figured there was no better place to go than Bob Vila's web site for some advice!
We bought a beautiful 4 bedroom, 1 bath house in the city. Upstairs, there are 3 bedrooms - which actually are my husband and I's offices and the guest room. There is also a half bathroom calling my name. It seems 12 years ago before the people before US bought it, there was plumbing put in upstairs to accommodate a half bath. As we have seen with other things, they just never attempted to finish it off (we fixed a chandelier that did not work for 12 years!). We just finished repainting our hallway and have decided it is time to tackle this half bath. BUT I have no idea where to begin!
We have followed all the piping and it all appears to be there. My father in law said we can purchase a "testing" faucet to check water pressure. The only thing with plumbing WE see is that the drain pipe seems pretty high for the sink, so we think that may need to be cut.
Other than that, it seems we just have to wall in the piping and insulation with drywall and do the floor and put in the fixtures. From what I am gathering, we should do plumbing, electrical, flooring, walls, fixtures, in that order. Does that seem right?
I have done searches on finishing a bathroom but I only seem to find stuff on remodeling an existing one or building one from scratch. I guess I am just looking for some direction before calling a plumber, etc. if it is not needed.
Where To Start?
Where to start
Where to research decorating a house built during th...
Adding a bathroom and don't know where to start
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight