Hello everyone, I am new here and a new homeowner. I figured there was no better place to go than Bob Vila's web site for some advice!
We bought a beautiful 4 bedroom, 1 bath house in the city. Upstairs, there are 3 bedrooms - which actually are my husband and I's offices and the guest room. There is also a half bathroom calling my name. It seems 12 years ago before the people before US bought it, there was plumbing put in upstairs to accommodate a half bath. As we have seen with other things, they just never attempted to finish it off (we fixed a chandelier that did not work for 12 years!). We just finished repainting our hallway and have decided it is time to tackle this half bath. BUT I have no idea where to begin!
We have followed all the piping and it all appears to be there. My father in law said we can purchase a "testing" faucet to check water pressure. The only thing with plumbing WE see is that the drain pipe seems pretty high for the sink, so we think that may need to be cut.
Other than that, it seems we just have to wall in the piping and insulation with drywall and do the floor and put in the fixtures. From what I am gathering, we should do plumbing, electrical, flooring, walls, fixtures, in that order. Does that seem right?
I have done searches on finishing a bathroom but I only seem to find stuff on remodeling an existing one or building one from scratch. I guess I am just looking for some direction before calling a plumber, etc. if it is not needed.
Where To Start?
Where to start
Where to research decorating a house built during th...
Adding a bathroom and don't know where to start
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY