Hello everyone, I am new here and a new homeowner. I figured there was no better place to go than Bob Vila's web site for some advice!
We bought a beautiful 4 bedroom, 1 bath house in the city. Upstairs, there are 3 bedrooms - which actually are my husband and I's offices and the guest room. There is also a half bathroom calling my name. It seems 12 years ago before the people before US bought it, there was plumbing put in upstairs to accommodate a half bath. As we have seen with other things, they just never attempted to finish it off (we fixed a chandelier that did not work for 12 years!). We just finished repainting our hallway and have decided it is time to tackle this half bath. BUT I have no idea where to begin!
We have followed all the piping and it all appears to be there. My father in law said we can purchase a "testing" faucet to check water pressure. The only thing with plumbing WE see is that the drain pipe seems pretty high for the sink, so we think that may need to be cut.
Other than that, it seems we just have to wall in the piping and insulation with drywall and do the floor and put in the fixtures. From what I am gathering, we should do plumbing, electrical, flooring, walls, fixtures, in that order. Does that seem right?
I have done searches on finishing a bathroom but I only seem to find stuff on remodeling an existing one or building one from scratch. I guess I am just looking for some direction before calling a plumber, etc. if it is not needed.
Where To Start?
Where to start
Where to research decorating a house built during th...
Adding a bathroom and don't know where to start
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!