Hello everyone, I am new here and a new homeowner. I figured there was no better place to go than Bob Vila's web site for some advice!
We bought a beautiful 4 bedroom, 1 bath house in the city. Upstairs, there are 3 bedrooms - which actually are my husband and I's offices and the guest room. There is also a half bathroom calling my name. It seems 12 years ago before the people before US bought it, there was plumbing put in upstairs to accommodate a half bath. As we have seen with other things, they just never attempted to finish it off (we fixed a chandelier that did not work for 12 years!). We just finished repainting our hallway and have decided it is time to tackle this half bath. BUT I have no idea where to begin!
We have followed all the piping and it all appears to be there. My father in law said we can purchase a "testing" faucet to check water pressure. The only thing with plumbing WE see is that the drain pipe seems pretty high for the sink, so we think that may need to be cut.
Other than that, it seems we just have to wall in the piping and insulation with drywall and do the floor and put in the fixtures. From what I am gathering, we should do plumbing, electrical, flooring, walls, fixtures, in that order. Does that seem right?
I have done searches on finishing a bathroom but I only seem to find stuff on remodeling an existing one or building one from scratch. I guess I am just looking for some direction before calling a plumber, etc. if it is not needed.
Where To Start?
Where to start
Where to research decorating a house built during th...
Adding a bathroom and don't know where to start
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes