I AM BUILDING A BATHROOM FOR MY HANDICAPPED SON. WHAT IS THE REQUIRED HEIGHT FOR SWITCHES AND PLUGS FROM THE FLOOR.
By ADA regulations, it depends upon the direction the wheelchair is approaching the switch. If the switch is accessed from the front of the wheelchair, the maximum height to the swicth lever (not the bottom) is 48". If the switch is accessed from the side of the wheelchair, the maximum height is 54". These dimensions are mainly for adult use and should be reduced for children. Since it is your home you can place the switches anywhere you want. Ask your son to point out what feels good to him. In my house I placed two switches, one above the other. The top was at standard height so that other users would not be confused searching for the switch. The second was placed at 32" so my children could easily access it. I used two 3-way switches (as I would use if the switches were located at opposite ends of a room). The wiring is somewhat more confusing but is not hard to do. You will find a diagram for this arrangement in any book on wiring. Instead of 2-#12 w/ ground you use 3-#12 w/ ground. This is a neat solution that makes everyone happy.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!