I'm thinking of doing cement countertops in my kitchen.
Has anyone done this themselves? If so, how difficult is it, and where can I find the products needed, Home Depot does not carry any finishes, and everywhere I look on the internet, they do it for you. But we want to do it ourselves.
I saw at least one well done book on concrtete countertops at Barn*s and Nobl*. Also, a friend installed these in his kitchen two years ago. He indicated that the installation was about the same amount of work as ceramic tile but with a poorer finish. His tops are about 3" thick and have an irregular medium-to-dark brown stain finish. Even though the concrtet is sealed, it is somewhat harder to clean because the surface is pitted and not glass smooth. If you are looking for a rough, country , industrial look it may work well. If you want clean, refined appearance go with plastic laminate, ceramic tile, corian, or polished stone. The most difficult process was the trowelling and staining.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?