We need to replace our wood laminate flooring - it's 10 years old and was inexpensive to start with and is really showing the wear with buckling, chips, scratches, etc.
I use a midwheel drive motorized wheelchair (which is heavy) and wondering what would hold up the best - real wood or the new vinyl wood planks? We think that the chair caused some of the problem with the laminate along with the contraction issues and water.
If we went with real wood we're talking 3/4" and that would raise the height of everything we've put in the kitchen which might pose a problem. However it's durability and easy maintenance that I'm looking for - besides a beautiful floor. We want to make a one time investment this time.
I know a lot of people that are opting for vinyl plank flooring as opposed to real wood. Vinyl flooring is typically easy to clean and is very durable and realistic. I would think this would be the best route to go, especially if real wood would cause height issues in your kitchen. Obviously, the decision is yours, so do some research and go with what you think will work best!
i have real wood floors, and i wouldn't go any other way. even with age, wood floors will still have the "real wood" feeling to it.
In terms of resale value, real wood is going to be your best investment. What would be problematic about raising the floor 3/4 an inch in the kitchen?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda