We need to replace our wood laminate flooring - it's 10 years old and was inexpensive to start with and is really showing the wear with buckling, chips, scratches, etc.
I use a midwheel drive motorized wheelchair (which is heavy) and wondering what would hold up the best - real wood or the new vinyl wood planks? We think that the chair caused some of the problem with the laminate along with the contraction issues and water.
If we went with real wood we're talking 3/4" and that would raise the height of everything we've put in the kitchen which might pose a problem. However it's durability and easy maintenance that I'm looking for - besides a beautiful floor. We want to make a one time investment this time.
I know a lot of people that are opting for vinyl plank flooring as opposed to real wood. Vinyl flooring is typically easy to clean and is very durable and realistic. I would think this would be the best route to go, especially if real wood would cause height issues in your kitchen. Obviously, the decision is yours, so do some research and go with what you think will work best!
i have real wood floors, and i wouldn't go any other way. even with age, wood floors will still have the "real wood" feeling to it.
In terms of resale value, real wood is going to be your best investment. What would be problematic about raising the floor 3/4 an inch in the kitchen?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them