HELP buying Washer & Dryer - Neptune/Duet
P.S. Our dryer is dying...it sounds like a cement mixer. :-(
Most of the problem have been worked out of the Neptune design since it has been on the market in actual use for 5+ years. Any current model you purchase is not likely to run into most of the problems you may have read about.
** Any comments pro or con on the Duet or any other "front loading" wash machine **
I haven't heard of many problems with them but they are still fairly new to the marketplace.
** any other "front loading" wash machine **
Most (all?) of the front load washers on the market are fairly complex machines with lots of electronic controls. I usually recommend an extended warranty for such a purchase as repairs are generally more expensive when required and also usually more difficult to diagnose.
** Our dryer is dying... it sounds like a cement mixer **
Dryers are not usually expensive to repair if not run into the ground. I would say that just because a dryer needs repair is not sufficient reason on its own to replace both the washer and dryer.
If you just want a new laundry set or have some compelling reason for the water use and/or energy savings of modern appliances, then just go ahead and replace them.
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited March 07, 2003).]
Our washer & dryer are about 20 yrs old and the dryer (thermostat? it wasn't heating) has recently been repaired. The repair person said it was probably not worth repairing again. I also feel that the washing machine is probably going to start giving us problems so it's probably time to replace them both. (The old machines are not energy efficient).
I looked at the ***** Kenmore (#1 rated Consumer Report) front loader machine. Any comments on this machine????
True but will the savings offset the cost of new appliances? Or come even come close?
** I also feel that the [20 yr old] washing machine is probably going to start giving us problems **
The washer we have is from about 1974 (~29 years old) and has given us very little problem. You know the old saying, "they don't build them like they used to"?
** The repair person said it was probably not worth repairing again. **
Without looking at it this time? Does the company also sell appliances?
If either question is yes, I would have pause to question the value of the opinion.
But as I said previously, if you just want a new laundry set then just go ahead and replace them. You don't need to justify their purchase to me.
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited March 10, 2003).]
We've had the Neptune almost two years now. Best appliance investment we've made. Will never buy a top loader again. I disagree with DanO, a 20 year old appliance is just about had it, replace it. One real neat trick on the front loader is put them on a 4" high platform, saves the back.
Good to see you here, Bob
[This message has been edited by Alfred (edited March 20, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!