HELP buying Washer & Dryer - Neptune/Duet
P.S. Our dryer is dying...it sounds like a cement mixer. :-(
Most of the problem have been worked out of the Neptune design since it has been on the market in actual use for 5+ years. Any current model you purchase is not likely to run into most of the problems you may have read about.
** Any comments pro or con on the Duet or any other "front loading" wash machine **
I haven't heard of many problems with them but they are still fairly new to the marketplace.
** any other "front loading" wash machine **
Most (all?) of the front load washers on the market are fairly complex machines with lots of electronic controls. I usually recommend an extended warranty for such a purchase as repairs are generally more expensive when required and also usually more difficult to diagnose.
** Our dryer is dying... it sounds like a cement mixer **
Dryers are not usually expensive to repair if not run into the ground. I would say that just because a dryer needs repair is not sufficient reason on its own to replace both the washer and dryer.
If you just want a new laundry set or have some compelling reason for the water use and/or energy savings of modern appliances, then just go ahead and replace them.
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited March 07, 2003).]
Our washer & dryer are about 20 yrs old and the dryer (thermostat? it wasn't heating) has recently been repaired. The repair person said it was probably not worth repairing again. I also feel that the washing machine is probably going to start giving us problems so it's probably time to replace them both. (The old machines are not energy efficient).
I looked at the ***** Kenmore (#1 rated Consumer Report) front loader machine. Any comments on this machine????
True but will the savings offset the cost of new appliances? Or come even come close?
** I also feel that the [20 yr old] washing machine is probably going to start giving us problems **
The washer we have is from about 1974 (~29 years old) and has given us very little problem. You know the old saying, "they don't build them like they used to"?
** The repair person said it was probably not worth repairing again. **
Without looking at it this time? Does the company also sell appliances?
If either question is yes, I would have pause to question the value of the opinion.
But as I said previously, if you just want a new laundry set then just go ahead and replace them. You don't need to justify their purchase to me.
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited March 10, 2003).]
We've had the Neptune almost two years now. Best appliance investment we've made. Will never buy a top loader again. I disagree with DanO, a 20 year old appliance is just about had it, replace it. One real neat trick on the front loader is put them on a 4" high platform, saves the back.
Good to see you here, Bob
[This message has been edited by Alfred (edited March 20, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes