My wife wants to update and brighten our kitchen(circa 1975) and wants to paint our cabinets, that are stained and sealed dark oak-look, to white/off-white. Is this doable with not too many headaches or would I be better off forgetting about it? Don't mind doing the work, just don't want to paint the cabs and then have her tell me it looks bad. All comments and instructions are welcome. Thanks, Jim.
Hi Jim, (in the words of our president) I feel your pain. First, sure it's doable you'll want to use a stripper to remove the existing sealant and stain, then sand, then paint. Second, before going to all that trouble and finding out that wifey doesn't like the look here's what I'd do. Get a piece of plywood cut the same size of the cabinet doors, paint it white (or whatever color she wants), replace one of the existing doors with the painted plywood door and let her study it for awhile. This will allow her to visualize what everything will look like without "you" having to do all that work. If she likes it then proceed, if not just reinstall the old door. Good luck!
Woodworking Matching Game. - Need help for this week...
Cabinetry and Trim
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!