My wife wants to update and brighten our kitchen(circa 1975) and wants to paint our cabinets, that are stained and sealed dark oak-look, to white/off-white. Is this doable with not too many headaches or would I be better off forgetting about it? Don't mind doing the work, just don't want to paint the cabs and then have her tell me it looks bad. All comments and instructions are welcome. Thanks, Jim.
Hi Jim, (in the words of our president) I feel your pain. First, sure it's doable you'll want to use a stripper to remove the existing sealant and stain, then sand, then paint. Second, before going to all that trouble and finding out that wifey doesn't like the look here's what I'd do. Get a piece of plywood cut the same size of the cabinet doors, paint it white (or whatever color she wants), replace one of the existing doors with the painted plywood door and let her study it for awhile. This will allow her to visualize what everything will look like without "you" having to do all that work. If she likes it then proceed, if not just reinstall the old door. Good luck!
Woodworking Matching Game. - Need help for this week...
Cabinetry and Trim
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes