gas vs electric
I have not personally ever had oil heating but some people swear by it. Temptation would be to leave it in place, esp. if it's brand new. Natural gas is great, but I hear gas could be going up (maybe 60%) this winter here (Colorado)--so it too has its occasional (market-based) drawbacks).
I like natural gas for the water heater and stove...in fact, had a gas line run for the stove recently. It's just a superior cooktop fuel.
As for the dryer, we have an electric dryer and it's OK. Natural gas probably would be better but it's probably not worth replacing...unless you use quite a bit.
So I guess you gather that I'm not a big fan of changing stuff just for the sake of changing it. My opinion: run the gas line to the cooktop/range, and use the money you saved to pay down your mortgage.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING