gas vs electric
I have not personally ever had oil heating but some people swear by it. Temptation would be to leave it in place, esp. if it's brand new. Natural gas is great, but I hear gas could be going up (maybe 60%) this winter here (Colorado)--so it too has its occasional (market-based) drawbacks).
I like natural gas for the water heater and stove...in fact, had a gas line run for the stove recently. It's just a superior cooktop fuel.
As for the dryer, we have an electric dryer and it's OK. Natural gas probably would be better but it's probably not worth replacing...unless you use quite a bit.
So I guess you gather that I'm not a big fan of changing stuff just for the sake of changing it. My opinion: run the gas line to the cooktop/range, and use the money you saved to pay down your mortgage.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight