gas vs electric
I have not personally ever had oil heating but some people swear by it. Temptation would be to leave it in place, esp. if it's brand new. Natural gas is great, but I hear gas could be going up (maybe 60%) this winter here (Colorado)--so it too has its occasional (market-based) drawbacks).
I like natural gas for the water heater and stove...in fact, had a gas line run for the stove recently. It's just a superior cooktop fuel.
As for the dryer, we have an electric dryer and it's OK. Natural gas probably would be better but it's probably not worth replacing...unless you use quite a bit.
So I guess you gather that I'm not a big fan of changing stuff just for the sake of changing it. My opinion: run the gas line to the cooktop/range, and use the money you saved to pay down your mortgage.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers