I've had a Whirlpool for about 4 months, and I've found the cleanup to be a breeze. 99% of the time all it takes is a damp paper towel. For the other 1%, the cleaner goop that's supplied with the range does the job. If you drop butter or oil directly on the hot surface you may have to gently scrape it off (the manual explains how). So far, I'd say that I'd not go back to a coil-top.
As mentioned elsewhere here, the units do take a while to cool down. That's especially true of the 9", 2500 watt unit that my range has. The best techniques to master are (1) lifting the pan away from the surface if things are cooking too rapidly and (2) turning the control off completely when things are close to being cooked. In fact, for some things like omelettes you can turn the heat off as soon as you dump the egg into the preheated pan.
BTW, the Whirlpool manual makes no mention of not using cast iron or glass utensils. I've used both and they work just fine (so far). But as mentioned, it *is* important that they be flat-bottomed.