I purchased a kit to hook up a gas dryer. For some reason, though, I cannot get the seal tight enough to prevent gas from leaking on the dryer side of the pipe. The fitting that is coming out of the dryer is a larger one than the kit that I purchased as well. Any suggestions? I do not have the house wired for an electric dryer...are there dryers that do not run on 220V?
Gabby, If you are not experienced with pipe, nipples, and fittings, then I recommend you call a plumber to hook up the gas dryer. Your plumber has the ability to make the proper connection. If you do decide to tackle this yourself, you must 1st determine what you have coming out of the gas valve. It's either 1/2" or a 3/8" nipple. The kit you purchased may not have allowed for a 3/8" x 1/2" reducing coupling. Reducing couplings are mandated here in Philadelphia by the gas company. Bushings are not allowed, and will fail an inspection. All gas dryers operate on 120VAC. Electric dryers are 220VAC.
quote:I agree but if you insist on attempting it yourself, the page at the following link may help. Use at your own (and your family's) risk.
If you are not experienced with pipe, nipples, and fittings, then I recommend you call a plumber to hook up the gas dryer.
LINK > Installing a gas connector
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited October 06, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?