Oven temp reange
It depends on how the control used on it was designed and whether the appliance is gas or electric.
Generally, a gas range thermostat will usually have a much narrower on/off temperature differential. For an electric ranges, a 50°F differential may be normal especially for an older model whose control may no longer be working 100%.
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited January 30, 2004).]
I've had difficulty with our 1-yr-old range's adjustments. (you may have noticed from my recent postings.)
I thought the temps were all over the place--50 or 60 degree differences. Then I adjusted the oven temp (up 20 degrees) and spent some time logging its temperatures.
I found on normal bake, temps would fluctuate 10 degrees, ONCE THE OVEN HAD BEEN ON A WHILE so temp had stabilized.
On "convection bake", there were still somewhat wider fluctuations at FIRST, but then it settled down to about a 15 degree range.
So, I'd ask, are the fluctuations you see more noticeable when you first turn it on? If so, it could well "settle in."
Once I figured this out, I started pre-heating the oven sooner. Also, I noticed that on this oven, convection cooks at 25 degrees lower than set temperature. You set it on 350, it cooks at 325. I thought this odd, since with our previous convection oven you'd typically set it down 25 degrees.
Anyway, hope this is helpful. I recommend logging the temps and figuring out some of its idiosyncracies. Just in case it's not as "off" as you think...
-k2 in CO
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers