Oven temp reange
It depends on how the control used on it was designed and whether the appliance is gas or electric.
Generally, a gas range thermostat will usually have a much narrower on/off temperature differential. For an electric ranges, a 50°F differential may be normal especially for an older model whose control may no longer be working 100%.
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited January 30, 2004).]
I've had difficulty with our 1-yr-old range's adjustments. (you may have noticed from my recent postings.)
I thought the temps were all over the place--50 or 60 degree differences. Then I adjusted the oven temp (up 20 degrees) and spent some time logging its temperatures.
I found on normal bake, temps would fluctuate 10 degrees, ONCE THE OVEN HAD BEEN ON A WHILE so temp had stabilized.
On "convection bake", there were still somewhat wider fluctuations at FIRST, but then it settled down to about a 15 degree range.
So, I'd ask, are the fluctuations you see more noticeable when you first turn it on? If so, it could well "settle in."
Once I figured this out, I started pre-heating the oven sooner. Also, I noticed that on this oven, convection cooks at 25 degrees lower than set temperature. You set it on 350, it cooks at 325. I thought this odd, since with our previous convection oven you'd typically set it down 25 degrees.
Anyway, hope this is helpful. I recommend logging the temps and figuring out some of its idiosyncracies. Just in case it's not as "off" as you think...
-k2 in CO
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING