Oven temp reange
It depends on how the control used on it was designed and whether the appliance is gas or electric.
Generally, a gas range thermostat will usually have a much narrower on/off temperature differential. For an electric ranges, a 50°F differential may be normal especially for an older model whose control may no longer be working 100%.
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited January 30, 2004).]
I've had difficulty with our 1-yr-old range's adjustments. (you may have noticed from my recent postings.)
I thought the temps were all over the place--50 or 60 degree differences. Then I adjusted the oven temp (up 20 degrees) and spent some time logging its temperatures.
I found on normal bake, temps would fluctuate 10 degrees, ONCE THE OVEN HAD BEEN ON A WHILE so temp had stabilized.
On "convection bake", there were still somewhat wider fluctuations at FIRST, but then it settled down to about a 15 degree range.
So, I'd ask, are the fluctuations you see more noticeable when you first turn it on? If so, it could well "settle in."
Once I figured this out, I started pre-heating the oven sooner. Also, I noticed that on this oven, convection cooks at 25 degrees lower than set temperature. You set it on 350, it cooks at 325. I thought this odd, since with our previous convection oven you'd typically set it down 25 degrees.
Anyway, hope this is helpful. I recommend logging the temps and figuring out some of its idiosyncracies. Just in case it's not as "off" as you think...
-k2 in CO
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight