G.E. Electric range
Appliance service technicians use a pyrometer (expensive thermometer) to get an accurate idea of the oven temperature. You may be able to get a rough idea of the oven temperature using a cheap, store-bought oven thermometer but I wouldn't use one as the basis for any repairs (especially expensive ones).
** maybe replace the element **
Electric range elements usually only work or they don't. If it working (glowing red) it is not the cause of your problem.
** should I consider a new oven after ten years **
I wouldn't. Just the temperature being out is not a catastrophic failure. If you're unable to determine the cause yourself, having a trained appliance service technician would likely be worth while. I would recommend you having it checked out regardless before replacing it so you can have an accurate estimate on repairs to compare against the cost of replacement.
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited February 10, 2004).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes