G.E. Electric range
Appliance service technicians use a pyrometer (expensive thermometer) to get an accurate idea of the oven temperature. You may be able to get a rough idea of the oven temperature using a cheap, store-bought oven thermometer but I wouldn't use one as the basis for any repairs (especially expensive ones).
** maybe replace the element **
Electric range elements usually only work or they don't. If it working (glowing red) it is not the cause of your problem.
** should I consider a new oven after ten years **
I wouldn't. Just the temperature being out is not a catastrophic failure. If you're unable to determine the cause yourself, having a trained appliance service technician would likely be worth while. I would recommend you having it checked out regardless before replacing it so you can have an accurate estimate on repairs to compare against the cost of replacement.
The Appliance Information Site
[This message has been edited by DanO (edited February 10, 2004).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!