I need to move the gas stove so that i can remove the existing vinyl floor and paint behind it. Then i am laying a new tile floor. Because of the age of our house, i can not find a local shot off to the gas line. If i shot off the main line can i temporarily cap the gas line to the stove so that i continue to have gas for my water heater? What supplies do i need?
If you shut off the main gas line that is the time to get a new gas valve for the line. It should be mounted on the stub where it terminates behind the stove. You may need new flex line to make final connections. Check the thread diameter of the gas line, buy the valve and teflon paste (pipe dope) or teflon tape. Be sure to use the teflon paste on the outside threads of the gas line, then install the new valve. It opens and closes with a 90 degree turn. You can then restore gas service to the house, light all pilots and work on the vinyl paint.
DRYER - Gas or electric???
Adding gas line to wood burning fireplace as log sta...
running a gas line
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!