I'm remodeling -- traditional style -- and need to select baseboard moulding. I picked 3 1/2" casing. Have a choice of 4 1/4 or 5 1/4" baseboard. Any recommendations? Is 5 1/4" too wide?? How much more does it cost than 4 1/4"?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. My builder is doing all the work. I just pick and pay.
My suggestion is this: get a sample piece of each size, place it in a location where it will be installed, and see which you prefer.
I would go with the 5" 1/4 baseboards with your 3" 1/2 casings. I recently went through the same dilemma as we completely changed all doors, door frames, casings, baseboards, etc on the first floor. My wife and are very pleased with the final results.
BTW in the bedroom we went with 6" 1/2 baseboards to go with the 4" 1/4 casings that we installed.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide