I'm remodeling -- traditional style -- and need to select baseboard moulding. I picked 3 1/2" casing. Have a choice of 4 1/4 or 5 1/4" baseboard. Any recommendations? Is 5 1/4" too wide?? How much more does it cost than 4 1/4"?? Any help will be greatly appreciated. My builder is doing all the work. I just pick and pay.
My suggestion is this: get a sample piece of each size, place it in a location where it will be installed, and see which you prefer.
I would go with the 5" 1/4 baseboards with your 3" 1/2 casings. I recently went through the same dilemma as we completely changed all doors, door frames, casings, baseboards, etc on the first floor. My wife and are very pleased with the final results.
BTW in the bedroom we went with 6" 1/2 baseboards to go with the 4" 1/4 casings that we installed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!