I've recently bought a small condo in Hawaii in a concrete building and want to put in false wood beams for decorative purposes and also to facilitate the installation of ceiling fans (covering up wiring, etc.). I would appreciate any information on where to purchase or make beams and how I should connect them to the concrete ceiling / walls.
I would attach a 2x6 to the ceiling. Build a box beam out of two 1x4's for the sides and a 1x6 for the bottom. Nail them together in a U shape and stick em to the ceiling. It helps to have three people to install. One to hold down on the center and two to push the beam ends into place. After the ends are up, the center can be eased up into place and the whole thing fastened to the 2x6.
finding a wall stud.....
Wiring for lamp post never installed - how can I fin...
Screened in porch
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!