What's the best method to repair a floor joist that sags about 1"? I'll be working from the ceiling below and don't want to disturb the crown molding. After exposing the joist and making enough crosscuts 1/2 to 2/3 thru to jack up the joist, I don't know if sistering a slightly shorter joist on one or both sides will be sufficient or if a steel plate will be needed.
If the existing joist is simply warped, then I would think that sistering would do a perfectly fine job. But if the joist is sagging because of being loose on one end, or because of heavy load, you might find that sistering is not enough. I think I would sister on both sides of the joist and bolt, rather than nail, at several points - getting as close to each end as possible.
raising sagging floor joist
How to reinforce cut floor joist?
Floor Joist Directional change and subfloor Pattern
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes