I would like to build some shelves in my garage. I want to mount them on the wall and hang from the ceiling. Any place where I could get plans/directions on how to properly secure them.
justgregk - I just put up shelves in my garage. I used L shaped shelf brackets with a 12" and a 14" leg. I put 1"x12" by 8' shelving of man-made (wood fiber and glue) stuff. I used 3" wood screws into the wood studs (left over from deck). The 14" leg is against the wall for more stability. The bracket has two holes at the top of each leg. There is only room for one screw in stud so the bracket is canted. Using a studfinder and drilling pilots holes help. I also put in tiny screws through the bracket into the shelf for stability (left over from installing miniblinds - yes, I'm a packrat). I used four brackets per 8' shelf. Spaced at 32", 32" and 16". Heavy weights like tool boxes sit over the 16" spacing.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes