I would like to build some shelves in my garage. I want to mount them on the wall and hang from the ceiling. Any place where I could get plans/directions on how to properly secure them.
justgregk - I just put up shelves in my garage. I used L shaped shelf brackets with a 12" and a 14" leg. I put 1"x12" by 8' shelving of man-made (wood fiber and glue) stuff. I used 3" wood screws into the wood studs (left over from deck). The 14" leg is against the wall for more stability. The bracket has two holes at the top of each leg. There is only room for one screw in stud so the bracket is canted. Using a studfinder and drilling pilots holes help. I also put in tiny screws through the bracket into the shelf for stability (left over from installing miniblinds - yes, I'm a packrat). I used four brackets per 8' shelf. Spaced at 32", 32" and 16". Heavy weights like tool boxes sit over the 16" spacing.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!