You should check with someone in your area who is knowlegeable of the local laws. Chances are, you should have gotten a permit before starting. In that case the inspector could tell you.
Please, BUY yourself a good book on How To Build A Deck. For $30, give or take, it's $$$ that's well spent, buddy! Come on, you're saving a WHOLE lot more than $30, no?
Start here: WEB Links On Deck Building Consider visiting Amazon.com or even your local Bookstore.
Why would I suggest you buy a book vs. just giving you the answer to your questions??? Because if you're asking THESE types of questions, I'm SURE you have a few more, including ones you haven't thought of yet. Do you know what it's like to put in your posts 8' apart and find out you should have put them in 8' apart, ON CENTER??!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: If you don't get a good book, it's no loss to me. You'll just write back wondering how to 'retro-fit' your deck after making a 1-3/4" 'mistake' ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them