You should check with someone in your area who is knowlegeable of the local laws. Chances are, you should have gotten a permit before starting. In that case the inspector could tell you.
Please, BUY yourself a good book on How To Build A Deck. For $30, give or take, it's $$$ that's well spent, buddy! Come on, you're saving a WHOLE lot more than $30, no?
Start here: WEB Links On Deck Building Consider visiting Amazon.com or even your local Bookstore.
Why would I suggest you buy a book vs. just giving you the answer to your questions??? Because if you're asking THESE types of questions, I'm SURE you have a few more, including ones you haven't thought of yet. Do you know what it's like to put in your posts 8' apart and find out you should have put them in 8' apart, ON CENTER??!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: If you don't get a good book, it's no loss to me. You'll just write back wondering how to 'retro-fit' your deck after making a 1-3/4" 'mistake' ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes