You should check with someone in your area who is knowlegeable of the local laws. Chances are, you should have gotten a permit before starting. In that case the inspector could tell you.
Please, BUY yourself a good book on How To Build A Deck. For $30, give or take, it's $$$ that's well spent, buddy! Come on, you're saving a WHOLE lot more than $30, no?
Start here: WEB Links On Deck Building Consider visiting Amazon.com or even your local Bookstore.
Why would I suggest you buy a book vs. just giving you the answer to your questions??? Because if you're asking THESE types of questions, I'm SURE you have a few more, including ones you haven't thought of yet. Do you know what it's like to put in your posts 8' apart and find out you should have put them in 8' apart, ON CENTER??!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: If you don't get a good book, it's no loss to me. You'll just write back wondering how to 'retro-fit' your deck after making a 1-3/4" 'mistake' ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!