You should check with someone in your area who is knowlegeable of the local laws. Chances are, you should have gotten a permit before starting. In that case the inspector could tell you.
Please, BUY yourself a good book on How To Build A Deck. For $30, give or take, it's $$$ that's well spent, buddy! Come on, you're saving a WHOLE lot more than $30, no?
Start here: WEB Links On Deck Building Consider visiting Amazon.com or even your local Bookstore.
Why would I suggest you buy a book vs. just giving you the answer to your questions??? Because if you're asking THESE types of questions, I'm SURE you have a few more, including ones you haven't thought of yet. Do you know what it's like to put in your posts 8' apart and find out you should have put them in 8' apart, ON CENTER??!
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: If you don't get a good book, it's no loss to me. You'll just write back wondering how to 'retro-fit' your deck after making a 1-3/4" 'mistake' ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!