I too have wrestled with trying to price my own jobs.I have seeked advice from others and
have never found what I feel always works.However,here are some options I use depending on the situation:
a)Figure on what you want to make per hour.
b)You can estimate some jobs based on how long you think they'll take.
c)Price by the job.If you'll be utilizing your skills in an hour that are worth far more than the hourly rate,then you need to price the job out that way.
d)Don't forget to charge for getting materials.Trips to the lumber yard can kill you.
e)There's nothing wrong with negotiating a tough job.Sometimes you just don't know what you'll run into.Commmunicate with the customer and give as best an estimate as possible and communicate as you go.
If you give people a fair deal,they'll call you back.Part of the fair deal though is also being fair to yourself.Hope this has been of some help...Best of Luck!
I know there are books out there on these. Try the bookstores including the ones on-line.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes