I too have wrestled with trying to price my own jobs.I have seeked advice from others and
have never found what I feel always works.However,here are some options I use depending on the situation:
a)Figure on what you want to make per hour.
b)You can estimate some jobs based on how long you think they'll take.
c)Price by the job.If you'll be utilizing your skills in an hour that are worth far more than the hourly rate,then you need to price the job out that way.
d)Don't forget to charge for getting materials.Trips to the lumber yard can kill you.
e)There's nothing wrong with negotiating a tough job.Sometimes you just don't know what you'll run into.Commmunicate with the customer and give as best an estimate as possible and communicate as you go.
If you give people a fair deal,they'll call you back.Part of the fair deal though is also being fair to yourself.Hope this has been of some help...Best of Luck!
I know there are books out there on these. Try the bookstores including the ones on-line.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs