I too have wrestled with trying to price my own jobs.I have seeked advice from others and
have never found what I feel always works.However,here are some options I use depending on the situation:
a)Figure on what you want to make per hour.
b)You can estimate some jobs based on how long you think they'll take.
c)Price by the job.If you'll be utilizing your skills in an hour that are worth far more than the hourly rate,then you need to price the job out that way.
d)Don't forget to charge for getting materials.Trips to the lumber yard can kill you.
e)There's nothing wrong with negotiating a tough job.Sometimes you just don't know what you'll run into.Commmunicate with the customer and give as best an estimate as possible and communicate as you go.
If you give people a fair deal,they'll call you back.Part of the fair deal though is also being fair to yourself.Hope this has been of some help...Best of Luck!
I know there are books out there on these. Try the bookstores including the ones on-line.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY