I too have wrestled with trying to price my own jobs.I have seeked advice from others and
have never found what I feel always works.However,here are some options I use depending on the situation:
a)Figure on what you want to make per hour.
b)You can estimate some jobs based on how long you think they'll take.
c)Price by the job.If you'll be utilizing your skills in an hour that are worth far more than the hourly rate,then you need to price the job out that way.
d)Don't forget to charge for getting materials.Trips to the lumber yard can kill you.
e)There's nothing wrong with negotiating a tough job.Sometimes you just don't know what you'll run into.Commmunicate with the customer and give as best an estimate as possible and communicate as you go.
If you give people a fair deal,they'll call you back.Part of the fair deal though is also being fair to yourself.Hope this has been of some help...Best of Luck!
I know there are books out there on these. Try the bookstores including the ones on-line.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps