There are many solutions to your problem, but this is the way I would do it. I would use a "threaded insert" on the table portion of the legs and a machine bolt or screw on the removable part of the leg. See below for an example of a 3/8" threaded insert: http://www.constantines.com/product.asp?0=234&1=233&3=576
A 1/4 inch insert may work fine.
Drill a hole through the center of the removable part of the leg and countersink it on both sides. Insert a bolt that matches the threads of the insert through the hole in the removable leg. There should be a washer under the bolt head and a washer plus two nuts on the other end of the bolt. The bolt head and nuts should all be countersunk below the surface of the removable leg, and the bolt should extend out to the depth of the threaded insert. Drill the correct size hole for the threaded insert (to prevent splitting of the wood). Thread the insert into the main leg portion, remove it, coat the outside of the threads with epoxy, and re-insert it into the main leg portion. Make certain that you don't get epoxy inside the threads!
The removable leg portions should screw easily onto the main leg portions.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!