My husband and I recently got married and purchased our first home. My mother passed down a cabinet from her youth she calls a "wardrobe" which she claims is made of cedar.It has been stored in a damp basement for the past 30 years. The exterior is grimy but otherwise in good condition. The inside of the drawers and cabinets and the back covering have black stains on them (mold, mildew, water damage maybe?) It seems like the pieces that stained were inferior wood which was used in the construction of the cabinet for the places that didn't show. (I'm assuming to save money.)Is there any way we can restore this cabinet for use in our new home? Specifically how to clean and refurbish cedar? Any assistace would be appreciated. Much thanks for your help!!!
First get the piece someplace dry (not Garage) and leave it for 3-4weeks to dry out, this way you can find out if it has gotten wet. Eastern Red Cedar will turn black with age and moisture. Try a product such as Formby's restorer on the outside of the cabinet (NOT inside), If it is Eastern Red Cedar the inside should Not have any finish on it. Just use a cabinet scraper and sand paper to restore the inside, and the aroma.
Thanks! Well, for sure it had gotten wet, it was black in certain spots and had rotted through in some places. (none visible from the exterior, and mostly on the "cheaper" interior wood) We just replaced the rotted wood. You were right, the inside was not finished. My husband first cleaned the wardrobe with a mixture of bleach and water and then sanded it like you said! It sure did release it's cedar fragrance, even after 30 years!! It's coming along remarkably well! Thanks! Do we seal it with any type of product after the sanding???
Under my aluminum siding
Cedar in the tub/shower enclosure.
Restoring/Treating Old Cedar Pation Furniture
Q-- is there a max size/weight for upper cabinets?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates