joist hanging/ers - again
1) Depending, the joists aren't 'thick' enough to 'accommodate' the nail. The only way to make sure the nail doesn't penetrate the BACK side of the ledger is to toe-nail. 2) Toe-nailing somewhat 'restricts' the movement of the joist from left to right. This method kinda 'stretches' the hanger so that when it wants to move left, it can't because the nail on the other side is 'pulling' the joist back. 3) The nail is less likely to pull out (by Mother Nature) when it's on an angle. As wood expands and contracts, a nail that's hammered STRAIGHT in will move more than one that's not since the weight on the nail is coming straight down.
I can't see the illustration you're referring to. Could they be screwing the hanger in???
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Try this, take some 2x4's and make a "T". Toe nail them together with 3- 12d galvanized nails... 2 on one side (4") and 1 on the otherside (4"). now try to pull them apart. Toe nailing is the strongest method of nailing this kind of joint.
When you nail the hangers to the ledger make sure that you use "Teco" Nails they are slightly larger than Joist hanger nails. Toenail thru the hanger into the joist into the ledger with at least 12d common nails, avoid box nails if possible. If this is for outdoor construction use galvanized nails
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers