joist hanging/ers - again
1) Depending, the joists aren't 'thick' enough to 'accommodate' the nail. The only way to make sure the nail doesn't penetrate the BACK side of the ledger is to toe-nail. 2) Toe-nailing somewhat 'restricts' the movement of the joist from left to right. This method kinda 'stretches' the hanger so that when it wants to move left, it can't because the nail on the other side is 'pulling' the joist back. 3) The nail is less likely to pull out (by Mother Nature) when it's on an angle. As wood expands and contracts, a nail that's hammered STRAIGHT in will move more than one that's not since the weight on the nail is coming straight down.
I can't see the illustration you're referring to. Could they be screwing the hanger in???
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Try this, take some 2x4's and make a "T". Toe nail them together with 3- 12d galvanized nails... 2 on one side (4") and 1 on the otherside (4"). now try to pull them apart. Toe nailing is the strongest method of nailing this kind of joint.
When you nail the hangers to the ledger make sure that you use "Teco" Nails they are slightly larger than Joist hanger nails. Toenail thru the hanger into the joist into the ledger with at least 12d common nails, avoid box nails if possible. If this is for outdoor construction use galvanized nails
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Ways to Expand into Your Garage
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 12 Fresh Ideas for Your Kids' Room
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets