joist hanging/ers - again
1) Depending, the joists aren't 'thick' enough to 'accommodate' the nail. The only way to make sure the nail doesn't penetrate the BACK side of the ledger is to toe-nail. 2) Toe-nailing somewhat 'restricts' the movement of the joist from left to right. This method kinda 'stretches' the hanger so that when it wants to move left, it can't because the nail on the other side is 'pulling' the joist back. 3) The nail is less likely to pull out (by Mother Nature) when it's on an angle. As wood expands and contracts, a nail that's hammered STRAIGHT in will move more than one that's not since the weight on the nail is coming straight down.
I can't see the illustration you're referring to. Could they be screwing the hanger in???
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
Try this, take some 2x4's and make a "T". Toe nail them together with 3- 12d galvanized nails... 2 on one side (4") and 1 on the otherside (4"). now try to pull them apart. Toe nailing is the strongest method of nailing this kind of joint.
When you nail the hangers to the ledger make sure that you use "Teco" Nails they are slightly larger than Joist hanger nails. Toenail thru the hanger into the joist into the ledger with at least 12d common nails, avoid box nails if possible. If this is for outdoor construction use galvanized nails
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!