I have just finished building a dining table top using maple plywood and solid maple 1x edging. I have applied two coats of Minwax stain and need to know what the best finish is for a table. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do not want a high-gloss finish. I have thought of using wax, have used water-based polyeurethanes in the past, and have seen wipe-on poly's at the hardware store.
Thaks in advance.
You must be careful with dining room tables. If you use a waterbased finish over an oil stain the finish may pop off if anything hot is set on the table. At this point your best bet would be using a brushing lacquer. Make sure that you purchase a good china bristle brush to apply it with. Sand lightly between coats.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers