removing cedar crystals
I HAVE RECENTLY AQUIRED A VERY NICE cedar HOPE CHEST. IT WAS PURCHASED BY MY FAMILY ABOUT 1918 OR 1919. MADE BY THE JACOB BLOOM COMPANY.ITS A GENIUNE TENN.RED CEDAR CHEST.. ITS A VERY LARGE HOPE CHEST(4ft 9in wide X2ft. 4in high X 2ft. deep) AND I NEED TO DO SOMETHING WITH IT. BUT REALLY DONT KNOW IF ILL RUIN IT BY SANDING THE CRYSTAL DEPOSITS OFF...THE CYRSTALS ARE VERY THICK (MAINLY ON THE LID).
IF I SAND THEM OFF OR DOWN WILL ONE STILL BE ABLE TO TELL THE AGE OF THE CHEST????? SHOULD I LEAVE SOME OF THE CRYSTALIZED AREAS ???SUCH AS AROUND THE OUTSIDE EDGE OF THE LID. PLEASE REMEMBER, THIS CHEST IS WELL OVER 80 YEARS OLD AND I DONT BELIEVE THAT IT HAS EVER BEEN TOUCHED WITH SAND PAPER. ONE MORE QUESTION.....IF I SAND THE LID DOWN TO THE RAW WOOD IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO TO TRY AND MATCH THE COLOR OF THE LID TO THE REST OF THE (AGED) CHEST ?
I KNOW ! "NO STAIN"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOUR KNOWLEDGE, YOUR TIME
AND YOUR ASSISTANCE IN THIS MATTER IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
However if you want to keep it to use, try a liquid restorer such as Formby's on the outside. To restore the cedar aroma to the inside, lightly sand it. Remember do not put anything on the inside of the chest to seal it.
The crystals are probably sap or resin from the wood and I have to agree that if you want to keep the "antique" value (if it really has any) then you should not do anything without consulting with a local expert first. You didn't mention if the outside has a finish or not but if you dampen a rag with turpentine and rub just the crystals it should thin them out and probably even remove them all without sanding without any damage to the chest. If there is a finish you might remove some of it with the turps but that can be re-done. Good luck.....Mark Hammond
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers