Looking for some input on average architect fees in the tri-state (NY,NJ,CT) area. Building a new home from scratch and have never done this before. So far they seem expensive....any other architect finding tips?
Even if you have your own well thought out ideas, it can cost you 6-8% to hae good plans and working drawings made up by a draftsman. The total fees from an archy include some site supervision and inspection occasional basis. There are archys who will work on a partial fee basis when asked to only provide plans.
Check on 'Designers/Builders'. If you get the whole deal at one stop, the design fees may be lots less than getting a separate architect.
PS: We are about to 'break ground' on our new home and I would suggest you start early to research EVERYTHING about your new home - from door knobs to windows to HVAC to flooring, etc, etc, etc. Never knew there were so many decisions to be made. Of course, you can leave all that up to your builder but you will then probably get 'contractor grade' (read CHEAP) products.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING