Looking for some input on average architect fees in the tri-state (NY,NJ,CT) area. Building a new home from scratch and have never done this before. So far they seem expensive....any other architect finding tips?
Even if you have your own well thought out ideas, it can cost you 6-8% to hae good plans and working drawings made up by a draftsman. The total fees from an archy include some site supervision and inspection occasional basis. There are archys who will work on a partial fee basis when asked to only provide plans.
Check on 'Designers/Builders'. If you get the whole deal at one stop, the design fees may be lots less than getting a separate architect.
PS: We are about to 'break ground' on our new home and I would suggest you start early to research EVERYTHING about your new home - from door knobs to windows to HVAC to flooring, etc, etc, etc. Never knew there were so many decisions to be made. Of course, you can leave all that up to your builder but you will then probably get 'contractor grade' (read CHEAP) products.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!