Looking for some input on average architect fees in the tri-state (NY,NJ,CT) area. Building a new home from scratch and have never done this before. So far they seem expensive....any other architect finding tips?
Even if you have your own well thought out ideas, it can cost you 6-8% to hae good plans and working drawings made up by a draftsman. The total fees from an archy include some site supervision and inspection occasional basis. There are archys who will work on a partial fee basis when asked to only provide plans.
Check on 'Designers/Builders'. If you get the whole deal at one stop, the design fees may be lots less than getting a separate architect.
PS: We are about to 'break ground' on our new home and I would suggest you start early to research EVERYTHING about your new home - from door knobs to windows to HVAC to flooring, etc, etc, etc. Never knew there were so many decisions to be made. Of course, you can leave all that up to your builder but you will then probably get 'contractor grade' (read CHEAP) products.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight