which house style is more energy efficient
The point is that NO two homes are ever alike in terms of BTU loss or total energy needed to heat them.
You can take identical plans, build them on different lots, and find them to vary signifcantly in terms of BTU loss based upon nothing other than the lot and location.
That said, a home's BTU loss is determined in part by:
1.amount of exposed exterior wall surface area
2.amount of wall and ceiling insulation
3.existance of slab/crawlspace/full basement/pier construction foundation
4.number of exterior windows and doors
5.type of heat
6.thickness of walls
7.height of ceilings
8...and so forth
You need to assess a FULL BTU assessment for each based upon many criteria before deciding which plan is most "efficient".
One plan may be more "efficient" to construct.....Yet least "efficient" to operate.
Exterior basement door threshold
How best to help my furnace (100 year old house desi...
Smaller Room Heating/Cooling question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!