which house style is more energy efficient
The point is that NO two homes are ever alike in terms of BTU loss or total energy needed to heat them.
You can take identical plans, build them on different lots, and find them to vary signifcantly in terms of BTU loss based upon nothing other than the lot and location.
That said, a home's BTU loss is determined in part by:
1.amount of exposed exterior wall surface area
2.amount of wall and ceiling insulation
3.existance of slab/crawlspace/full basement/pier construction foundation
4.number of exterior windows and doors
5.type of heat
6.thickness of walls
7.height of ceilings
8...and so forth
You need to assess a FULL BTU assessment for each based upon many criteria before deciding which plan is most "efficient".
One plan may be more "efficient" to construct.....Yet least "efficient" to operate.
Exterior basement door threshold
How best to help my furnace (100 year old house desi...
Smaller Room Heating/Cooling question
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes