I am a new homeowner. Having lived in apartments my entire adult life, I know NOTHING about remodeling, etc. I want to put in a driveway and carport in my very long back yard (alley access). I have no idea where to even start. Do I hire an architect first? Can I start contacting contractors right away? I know I'll need a building permit from the city, but I literally need to know where to start before I get to the permit phase. Any help this homeowner novice can get will be greatly appreciated!
Try taking a look around your neighborhood and see if there's anything that strikes you as being similar to what you'd like to see in your own yard, even if it's not exactly the same. If the tone and character strike you as appealing, talk to the homeowner about how it was accomplished. That path may take you some good recommendations.
In all probability you will need a building permit and plot plan showing the garage in relationship to lot lines to secure local government approval. Talk to the permits office regarding zoning requirements with particular attention to setbacks for an accessory structuire (garage). You probably don't need an architect. A reliable home improvement contractor in your area should be familiar with all the code requirement necessary build the garage.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?